I Promise This Dessert is Quick, Easy, and ALWAYS a Hit!
You’ve been invited to a party and asked to bring something for dessert. You want to make something that will be a big hit and is homemade, but you have only 1 hour. Panic! No. I have the PERFECT recipe for you. These delicious, addictive, sweet and salty, 5 ingredients slices of heaven are my secret weapon, and I want to share them with you! Put the five ingredients on your grocery list and stash them in the pantry (well, except the butter). Then, you’ll always have them. You’ll never want to be without these again. This is my oldest recipe, and I have adjusted it through the years. A girlfriend in high school insisted I write this down. At the time, it seemed odd. We weren’t at the recipe exchanging point in life yet. But I obediently did and am SO GLAD (thanks Gretchen Goicoechea!)
Chocolate Toffee Bars Recipe
What You’ll Need:
- a rectangular cookie sheet with sides
- a roll of parchment paper (do NOT skip this one; if you don’t have this yet, your kitchen is about to change FOREVER!)
- 2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 box of Keebler Club Crackers (the original ones in the green box with the little elf; and no, don’t buy low fat. That’s just silly.)
- 1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
- ½ cup of light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
How To Make the Magic Happen!
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper so that the paper extends beyond the cookie sheet on all sides. Crease paper at the corners to form the paper to the pan.
- Line the bottom of the cookie sheet with a single continuous layer of crackers.
- Now to the stovetop. Don’t fret! Even though there is a stovetop step, this is the easiest dessert you’ve ever made. Trust me!
- In a small saucepan, place the 2 sticks of butter and brown sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring to combine as the butter melts. Bring to a boil and let the mixture bubble gently for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Now, pour the mixture over the crackers and smooth with the spoon.
- Bake at 350 for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the bubbling surface.
- After about 5 minutes, spread chocolate with a rubber spatula to cover.
- Sprinkle with nuts, or any other festive topping that seems right (m-n-ms, crushed candy canes, sprinkles, etc_)
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes (make sure the pan is level)
- Remove from freezer and lift out of pan with the paper and place on a cutting board.
- Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes
- Cut into squares or bars and you are ready to go! Your friends will NOT believe their eyes or tastebuds!!!
Saved your life! If you don’t make these the next 96 times you are asked to bring a dish to a party, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle! You are welcome.
Chocolate Toffee Bars
- cookie sheet with sides
- parchment paper
- oven at 350 F
- stovetop at M
- small saucepan
- 1 box Keebler Club Crackers
- 1/2 cup tightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or other toppings
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper so that all sides are overlapped with paper; crease paper to form to pan.
- Line bottom of pan with a continuous layer of crackers
- Place butter and brown sugar in saucepan. Over medium heat, melt, bring to a boil, and allow to gently bubble for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Pour mixture over crackers and spread to cover with spoon.
- Bake at 350 F for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over surface.
- Allow chips to melt for about 5 minutes and then spread with a spatula to cover.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts, crushed candy canes, sprinkles, MmMs, or any other topping that strikes your fancy.
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes to set (make sure the pan is level).
- Remove from freezer and remove from pan by holding the edges of the paper.
- Place on cutting board. Allow to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Cut into bars or squares!
My Most Popular Side Dish Recipe
If you love delicious, easy, and smash hit recipes, you’ve got to try my Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes! They are a crowd pleaser and they take the last minute, hairdo wilting mashing out of the equation!